Life isn’t perfect. But that’s ok. I just need to know that I am living it to its maximum potential. This reason, amongst others, is why I’ve decided to set a few personal goals.
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I feel like I’ve come a long way in terms of my personal growth. I spent years feeling jealous, catty and insecure. I was envious of other people’s popularity, clothes, weight, other material goods, etc. It didn’t help that I was socially awkward and shy. I wished I could be cool and confident. All of this jealousy manifested itself in negative relationships with close friends and with myself.
I’ve since decided to try and embrace a more positive way of thinking. I’ve learned to be appreciative of what I do have and am working hard to take the best advantage of my abilities. Setting goals will help keep me on track and reminds me of the long term picture when I am feeling frustrated and unmotivated.
Health & Fitness Goals
- My weight has fluctuated over the past 3 years. While I am nowhere near my highest weight, I acknowledge that I am nowhere near as fit as I could/should be. I am going to strive towards getting into better shape. Ideally, I would love to achieve this via running but that’s pending the results of my PT consultation. Regardless, I need to get my butt off the couch and into the gym! I’ve enlisted the help of a few workout buddies to help me get started, and I am to start attending the various classes at my gym. I miss zumba, pilates and yoga!
- I’d like to lose a few pounds/trim a few inches, but I want to take more of an intuitive approach. In the past, I’ve had a really unhealthy relationship with the scale and measuring tape. I would obsessively check my weight every morning, and if the number went up or stayed the same, I would beat myself up over it. This time around, I’d like to gauge my progress based on how my clothes fit (they’ve been feeling a little snug lately, and I refuse to buy new clothes! If that’s not motivation, I don’t know what is). I need to learn that I am more than the number on the scale.
- I love food. I am a self proclaimed foodie. I love exploring new tastes and rejecting commercial chains in favor of local hole in the walls/mom & pop establishments. With that said, I can be too dependent on food. Stress affects my relationship with food in different ways. When I am stressed out over professional problems, I tend to eat…a lot. I’m usually not even hungry, but in an odd way, it makes me feel better. Then I hate myself for it. On the other hand, if I am stressed out over relationship problems, I have a difficult eating anything. I need to learn how to take my negative emotions and channel them into something more positive.
- I need to make an effort to eat healthier. I’m been really lazy lately and depending on processed food more than I’m proud to admit. Now that our kitchen renovations are done, I want to experiment more and make healthy cooking fun!
- Negative attitudes and mindsets lead to negative relationships. Thankfully, my current relationship and friendships are built on positive interactions and trust. I’d like to maintain these relationships and help make them the best they can be.
- I’m not the happiest I could be in my current position, and I need to work on making work a more enjoyable experience for all involved.
- I need to start saving for future events. 5 years ago, I was studying abroad in the UK. I was in London the day the city was chosen to host the 2012 Summer Olympic Games. I promised myself that I would save money and travel to the UK that summer. Can you believe it’s less than 2 years away?!
- I’d like to get married in the next few years, and while it may not be entirely my choice WHEN it’ll happen, I’d like to stay saving “just in case”. Haha. Until then, it’ll just be me and the wedding blogs.
- I have a few more goals, but I’m undecided whether or not I should post them on a public setting. Just know that they’re there, and that I’m working towards them!
I’m sure there are other goals, but I’d like to take things slowly and work on these for now. Hopefully, I’ll be on the path to success =)